Sunday, December 7, 2014

A Cheaper Christmas...Sticking to the plan!






I am following up on my Saint Nicholas post by revealing how we keep it cheap and simple at Christmas.  Yep, even Santa is a little bit cheaper here. Necessity, through a few financially strained holiday seasons, set a precedent that Mr. Cheaper and I are perfectly content to carry forward.  We keep things pretty minimal and simple. Everyone, including our budget, has a holly jolly Christmas that way.    


Secrets to our success:

A)The Plan-They say "its the thought that counts".  Start thinking early. I usually start this around September.  We develop a list of potential gifts that the kids need or would like.  I choose the things that I(or Santa) would like to give and then forward my other ideas to grandparents, aunts, and godparents.

B)Research-As with pretty much every purchase I do extensive research to locate the perfect item at a target price.  And then, I aim for an even lower price by waiting for a sale or discount.

C)Set Limits-This can be a monetary limit or an item number limit. We keep a pretty strict item number limit.  The kids get new pajamas from us and something that we make for them(i.e. quilt, robe, art, etc.).  Santa fills their stocking with 2-3 small items, brings 2-3 bigger gifts, and a note from Santa.  And by bigger gifts I do not mean a game system or a trip to Disney. I mean they are too big for the stocking. We spend $50-75 total on these "big gifts". 

Last year, Lil' Miss received a toy horses, a stable, and trailer for the toy horses.  We have a rule about our Santa gifts-they need to be focused on developing certain skills appropriate for the child's age. The last few years, Lil' Miss has gotten things for imagination play(i.e. dolls and doll accessories) and lots of puzzles(from the Dollar Store).  Our plan for this year- Jr. will be receiving sensory toys and Lil' Miss will be receiving a carrier for babywearing her dolls and board games that we can play together as a family.  

That's it. Good planning and sticking to the plan is the key! No towering stacks of gifts. And no credit card bills!

Happy Holidays! 
Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment